How to Get Started
See our most frequently-asked questions (and answers) below.
Have you considered getting a CDL? Call us today and your assigned recruiter and student coordinator will tell you how to get your CDL and will guide you through every step. See below to learn how this works. Call us to find out how to get started.
You can get your CDL onsite at the PAM headquarters! PAM’s new onsite CDL school offers the ultimate opportunity to start your trucking career off on the right foot. Meet other drivers, check out the equipment, and learn the PAM culture to get yourself closer to a driving seat with PAM.
NEW! Get $100 a Week While in School
Our onsite CDL school is now offering a weekly $100 stipend for all new students. You’ll get a $100 Walmart gift card each week for 3 weeks of school. That’s $300 in gift cards you can use to help with living expenses during school.*
What to Expect
Before You Start School
While most truck driving companies are reluctant to take on new recruits, training drivers is part of PAM’s mission. We look forward to helping you get your CDL. Apply now using the form on this page, and start your new truck driving career!
- First, you’ll do an interview with your assigned PAM recruiter.
- Then we’ll walk you through your background checks, DOT physical, and drug screening.
- Then your recruiter can help you apply and start CDL school!
CDL School: Week 1-4
- You’ll learn all the requirements for completion of the course and for obtaining your CDL, starting with how to plan your trips with maps and log books.
- You’ll also learn how to conduct vehicle inspections, both pre- and post-trip.
- Most importantly, you’ll learn best practices to safely get from point A to point B, such as how to safely back up tractor trailers and secure them, along with defensive driving techniques.
After You Graduate
- Once you get your CDL, you can start PAM’s Straight to Seat Orientation, which you can do on-line anywhere, on your own time, on-demand!
- When you’re ready to begin your paid training, your new Driver Mentor will pick you up in your hometown, so you can begin driving and start earning a paycheck!
Apply Online Now
CDL Training: Frequently Asked Questions
Do I receive pay while I am in CDL school?
You start receiving pay once you have finished school, have your CDL and are ready to be picked up by your PAM Driver Mentor.
How will I get to school? Who pays for my travel and lodging?
You can drive yourself or PAM can get you a bus ticket. We will cover the cost of the bus ticket and an Uber to get you from the bus station to the hotel. PAM will provide a shuttle to and back from CDL school each day. We will also pay for your hotel room while you are in school.
Am I required to have my permit before I arrive at CDL school?
Yes, you are required to have the permit before you come to campus. But you will do an online class to help prepare for the permit test if you do not already have your permit. We will send you the study and practice material you need to get started.
What is the cost for truck driving school?
As long as you fulfill your commitment to work for us for 1 year after you graduate from school, PAM will cover 100% of the cost of your tuition. Your only out-of-pocket expense will be the state testing fee, which is $50.
How long does it take to get started in truck driving school?
Typically, you can start school within a week or two after your application is received.
What kind of driving positions are available to me after I finish truck driving school?
PAM runs OTR, dedicated and local positions. You can apply for any position that you are eligible for, after you finish your training. Our operations department will help you find the opportunity that is the best fit for you.
Will I have to go out with a trainer after I finish school?
We do require you to go out with one of our experienced PAM Driver Mentors for a minimum of 14 days after you finish school and before you get assigned to your own truck.
How much money can I make in my first year as a new driver?
A new driver can earn up to $75,000 in their first year.
- Stipend will be paid with a $100 Walmart gift card on Thursdays, starting the first week of school.
- The school will be issuing the stipend.
- Stipend will only be for the 3 weeks of school. If a student fails the CDL test and has to stay over, there will be no additional stipend given.
- Students must attend school every day, Monday through Friday.
- Students must be on time for school every day (1 excused absence allowed). If a student misses a second day of school they will not receive any stipend for their remaining time at school.